Tuesday, January 5, 2021

The Birthday Girl In The Land Of Roses

 


    Sat, 03 Mar 2007 10:38:40 -0500--- Last Sunday, the 25th of February, we were invited to a party at Agnes’ home in celebration of her nth birthday. That was my first time to reach that part of Alabama which is situated midway between Ashville and Rainbow City. Her home, the seventh in a row on the right from the main gate, is simply beautiful and cozy. It was not a grand celebration. True to her style, she just invited a few friends for a small get-together. Having known her for only about a year, I felt honored to be invited to her home and probably being considered now as belonging to her inner circle. The food was plentiful and we never ran out of eager karaoke singers.

     I first met Agnes during one gathering at our home more than a year ago. Being new in Alabama at the time, I tried to meet and greet every guest while trying to memorize their names and the faces. Agnes was sitting on a chair  in the dining area and when I approached her, she introduced herself to me as someone from Zamboanga City. We met several times after that on various occasions.

     Last August 25, she sent me a “smile” in my friendster site with a request that I add her to my roster of friendster friends. That I obliged right away and gladly. From that time on I know more about her personality and her thoughts through reading her blogs.

     Today, Agnes, whose friendster name is Annette, is one of the most prolific bloggers in Friendster that I know of. Considering that English is not her native tongue--- it’s her fourth language, actually--- she wrote with such fluidity and mastery that I will not be surprised if one of these days, she will become a syndicated columnist or a novel writer. Casting all future possibilities aside, Annette is a true friend. Someone who makes you feel comfortable and at ease in her presence.        

 

 

No comments:

My Father: Some Poignant Recollections

After I completed elementary grades, my father left farming and worked at a timber company in Bayugan, some 60 kilometers south of Cabadbara...